The following error message you might encounter when using Windows OS.
Error 0x80071772: The specified file is encrypted and the user does not have the ability to Decrypt it.
Windows Error 6002 – 0x80071772 – The specified file is encrypted and the user does not have the ability to decrypt it
This error generally occurs when you try to decrypt an encrypted folder or try to delete Encrypted FRP folder. In this tutorial, you will get all the possible solution to fix this error.
If you want to Decrypt the folder or want to delete the encrypted folder then it is strongly recommended to use Ransomware Defender tool. As this tool is designed for handling encrypted folder by ransomware or other sources. You can download this tool from here.
After Decrypting or deleting the encrypted folder you must scan your PC with Advanced System Repair to repair damages done in your system.
3 Steps to Fix this Error
Step 2. SCAN your Windows PC
Step 3. Click Fix button to Repair Error
Reason Behind this Error
The main reason behind this error is a .cekey file. This file resides every encrypted folder and it has attributed to read-only. Read-Only attribute prevents the folder being deleted.
How to Fix The Specified File is Encrypted and the User Does not have the Ability to Decrypt it
Go through the following steps to fix this error:
Remove a Read-Only attribute from the .cekey file.
1. Launch Windows Explorer and find your encrypted file.
2. Right click on encrypted folder and select properties
3. On the General Tab, deselect Read-Only and click Apply.
4. When prompted, select Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files, and then click OK.
Now Open CMD to test .cekey file is not read-only.
1. Click Start > Run > CMD and click OK and run following command
2. C:\>attrib C:\Users\admin\Desktop\.cekey
A SHR C:\Users\admin\Desktop\.cekey – (This means the file is still read-only, reboot your system)
A SH C:\Users\admin\Desktop\.cekey – (This indicates the read-only attribute has been successfully removed)
3. Now, navigate to the encrypted folder and try to delete it or open it. Most probably you won’t get “Windows Error 6002 – 0x80071772 – The specified file is encrypted and the user does not have the ability to decrypt it” error.
In this article, I have tried to give you solution for Windows Error 6002 – 0x80071772 – The specified file is encrypted and the user does not have the ability to decrypt it error. However, it is recommended to use some third party tool to Decrypt the folder if you additionally want its content.