Setting up a printer should be a straightforward task, but encountering an error message that says “Operation could not be completed” can be frustrating. If you’re a Windows 11 user struggling to install your printer due to this error, fear not! In this article, we’ll explore some troubleshooting steps to help you overcome this issue and get your printer up and running smoothly.
Before attempting to resolve the “Unable to install printer. Operation could not be completed” error, it is important to follow these startup steps:
2. Ensure that the wireless connection or connecting cable is functioning properly.
3. Check the manufacturer’s website to verify the compatibility of your printer with your Windows operating system.
These steps will help ensure that the printer and its connections are in proper working order before proceeding with troubleshooting the installation error.
Solution 1: Fix using the PC Repair Tool
Solution 2: Reset Printer Spooler Service
Resetting the printer spooler service in Windows 11 is an important troubleshooting step to fix issues related to printer installation or print job errors. By resetting the printer spooler service, you can remove any corrupted files or bugs that may be stopping proper printer functionality on your Windows 11/10 system.
Reset Printer Spooler - Step by Step
net stop spooler
del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers* /Q
net start spooler
Solution 3: Install or Update the Printer Driver
Outdated or incompatible printer drivers can be a common cause of installation errors. Visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers specifically designed for Windows 11. Install these updated drivers and then try installing the printer once more.
Alternatively, you can use DriverEasy to scan and download missing/corrupted/outdated driver automatically.
Solution 4: Use Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 11 comes with a built-in troubleshooter designed to detect and fix “unable to install printer. operation could not be completed” issue. You can access the printer troubleshooter as follows:
Run Printer Troubleshooter - Windows 11
Solution 5: Remove & Re-install Printer.
Re-installing the Printer can help you to fix the above outlined error. You can re-install the printer as follows:
2. Print test page – you can also use this feature to printing test page.
3. Run the troubleshooter – You can use this feature to run troubleshooter on selected printer.
- Restart your printer.
- Connect the printer to PC.
- Restart your computer. Make sure your printer is turned on while computer restarts.
- Your OS will automatically detect the printer and start installing necessary components and drivers.
- Go to the Start → Settings → Bluetooth & Devices → Printers & Scanners.
- Select Add Device to add the printer manually.
If you are consistently encountering the error “Unable to install printer. Operation could not be completed” on Windows 11, 10, or 8, it is important to follow the steps outlined in this article. By implementing the methods suggested, you can effectively prevent and resolve this issue.