Everything is Fine with your Windows 10/8 Operating System and suddenly you notice that Windows is not downloading and installing updates automatically. When you manually search for updates, you are welcome with following error message:
Now, you start searching for the solution and finally get tired because you will not get any trusted and easy solution. To overcome this issue, in this article, I have tried to explain well all the fixing techniques with the help of complete screenshots.
Method 1: Fix using Advanced System Repair Tool
The most of the common reason behind windows update failed is corrupted or damaged system files like DLL files, EXE files, sys files etc. There are thousands of tiny system files are there that work specific task. If one of the files gets replaced, deleted or damaged then you may get windows update error 0x80070006.
3 Steps to Fix this Error
Step 2. SCAN your Windows PC
Step 3. Click Fix button to Repair Error
Download and Install Advanced System Repair Tool and scan your PC. It has the large database with 25 million files. It will find all the damaged or deleted system files and reinstall them with the fresh one. After, optimizing with Advanced System Repair Tool, try to install windows update again.
Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
This method works most of the time and fixes 0x80070006 update failed error without any complexity. It is very easy to run Windows Update Troubleshooter and here are the complete steps to run this.
3. It will launch Windows Update Troubleshooting wizard. Follow the on screen instruction and click next. When the process complete, try to install update once again. Most probably you will not get the 0x80070006 error.
Method 3: Run System File Checker Tool
This is a command line tool that is used to fixing system files problems. If there is any corruption in system files or DLL files then this tool easily replace them with a healthy one. You can run System File Checker Tool as follows:
Step 2: Now type the following command and press Enter.
Method 4: Reset Windows Update Component
This is a hard reset of Windows Update. If none of the methods work for you then you can go for a hard reset of Windows Update Components. This option creates a fresh folder for downloading updates and avoid any prior error.
2. Now, you need to stop some update services. These services are BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. Copy-Paste following command in command prompt and press Enter.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Now, Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder and Catroot2 folder. Copy and Paste following command in command prompt and press Enter
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
4. Start BIST, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services again. Copy-Paste following command in command window and press Enter.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Type Exit to close command prompt. Now try to download and install update again and most probably you will not get error code 0x80070006.
Method 5: Run DISM Command Line Tool to Fix 0x80070006
DISM command repairs corruption in Windows Updates. You can use it as follows:
Step 1: Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
Step 2: Run following commands one by one. It may some time to finish so be relaxed and keep patience.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Step 3: After finishing this process, try to install windows update again.
In this article, I have tried to collect all the fix of 0x80070006 – Windows Update Failed Error. If you are also getting the same error then read this article carefully and apply the methods one by one. Hopefully, you will be able to remove 0x80070006 error yourself.